Accepting People with Disabilities in the Workplace
Accepting people with disabilities in the workplace needs to be highlighted. There are so many stereotypes of people with disabilities, such as them being:
Reasons for people with disabilities not being employed are:
45 percent of employers say that they cannot afford a disabled employee and another 44 percent said that they were unsure of the costs. Adjustments are actually not costly and they are easy to make. These adjustments not only benefit the staff with disabilities, but the able bodied co-workers too.
There are many companies who struggle to find the right employee, yet there are so many job seekers with disabilities who are more than capable for the position.
Here are a few reasons it makes sense to employ people with disabilities:
- They crave a dignified and productive life
- Employment provides income and opportunities for social participation
- Purchasing inclusive products is a good investment for all
- There is a vast scope for solutions when there is a diverse workforce
- Many companies say that their disabled employees are an asset as they understand how to help customers with disabilities. This is also good business branding.
The cost to accommodate a disabled person is very little in comparison with market related salaries. Having said that, many employers tend to increase their disabled employees salaries when they discover what true gems they really are.