Disabled customer etiquette is the focus as we approach Christmas day. We need to be more considerate about disabled customers during the festive season. Here are a few tips for business owners to consider:
Never assume anything as one in five customers have a disability and some may be invisible disabilities. Be aware and observe.
- Know your customer and if you don’t know what to do then ask
- Treat disabled customers just as you would any customer
- Educate yourself about disability
- Offer options for disabled customers if you cannot meet their needs
- Have clear and visible signage
- Allow guide dogs into your shop
- Help customers with directions to accessible toilets and exits
- Get to know where all the accessible emergency exits are
- Look out for people who need added assistance regardless of their disability
- Be patient and friendly
People with disabilities have a right to enjoy their shopping experience over the Christmas season and in a safe environment where people are understanding and caring.