Discrimination against Employees with Disabilities
Discrimination against employees with disabilities occurs in many forms. One example of discrimination against employees with disabilities is when an employee is dismissed for having too many sick days off.
The truth is that the percentage of disabled people will increase.
- Where there are people who live past 70 years old, there will be a disability of some sort.
- The poverty rate for people with disabilities is at 47 percent
- Children with disabilities lack schooling
- They are victims of violence and discrimination
- Lack of employment has increased claims for disability grants
- 650 million people worldwide have a disability
When employers believe that someone is disabled and can do the job, they do not hire the person anyways. It is all about greed at the end of the day and society lacks compassion. As a community our hearts need to be softened. In some countries, disability is such a stigma that woman with disabilities have opted for sterilization. We need to see these people as part of society and that they deserve a chance just like able bodied people.
Action 4 the Blind and Disabled Children strive to bridge the gap between people with disabilities and the community through training and learnership programs.