Diversity and disability is an idea which includes acceptance and respect. Every person has individual needs. There are individual differences such as race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs
Fact: you have
Diversity is often focused on gender and race. There has been limited attention given to people with disabilities as a minority group.
Definition of Diversity
It means understanding that each individual is unique. These can be along the dimensions of:
- Sexual diversity
- Socio-economic status
- Physical abilities
- Religious beliefs
- Political beliefs
Definition of Disability
There are acts that protects people with disabilities in South Africa against unfair workplace treatment and includes access to training and jobs.
Disability is a physical or mental impairment that limits one’s life from daily activities. A qualified individual who has a disability can perform tasks without accommodation.
Disability Diversity in Education
Disability diversity in teach, includes:
Accesibleclasses for students with disabilities Accomodatingyour own disability within a classroom
- Incorporating disability studies in your course content
Disability and Cultural Diversity
Employment is scarce as it is, but for these minority groups, it is worse. This issue should be a priority for black people with a disability. It will take the efforts of training providers, employers and organizations to make a difference.
High employement in cukturally diverse disability groups are affected by the following factors:
- Discrimination is higher than for those who are non-disabled people.
- The minority group is excluded from rehabilitation services due to high costs.
- Educational opportunities are not affordable for people with disabilities from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Not enough transport and housing for disadvantaged communities increases the employment barrier for these people.
- Job coaching, internships and on the job training are not always available for the culturally diverse and disabled group.
- Religious organizations and immediate communities tend to overlook supporting and donating to these individuals.
If business owners can include people with disabilities, they will give themselves a competitive edge and brand themselves as trustworthy.