Facts about Physical Disabilities
At Action 4 the Blind and Disabled Children we encourage the education of physical disabilities within the community and society as a whole. Hre are a few facts about physical disabilities that need to be known:
- Physical disability is when a person has a limited physical functioning, dexterity, mobility or endurance.
- Individuals with a physical disability make up a large percentage of disabilities worldwide.
- Students with disabilities lack extramural activities which isolates them from society.
- One in four people will become disabled by the time they retire.
- A very low percentage of people with disabilities are employed.
- Africans are among the highest rate of disability.
- People with disabilities need assistive technology to be able to care for themselves.
- People with physical disabilities have amazing skills. They are able to sing, dance, play musical instruments and more.
- Many with physical disabilities partake in sports and do not think about their physical disabilities. There are sports such as wheelchair basketball, swimming laps and water aerobics.
- There are many people who experience an active lifestyle with a physical disability.
- 100 million disabled people in the world are children
- 50 percent of people with disabilities do not have medical aid
- 80 percent of people with disabilities live in third world countries
- Children with disabilities are more likely to experience violence and abuse than their able bodied peers.