Youth skills development programme helps prevent negative outcomes such as gangs and drug abuse. Youth skills development helps youth in risk areas to become successful despite the odds.
There are a few supports that youth require to overcome these obstacles:
- Emotional and Physical Safety – meeting the youth’s basic needs. trust and respect
- Caring Relationships – from an adult and peers
- Youth Participation – includes opportunities such as a voice, multiple choices, leadership and a say in decision making.
- Community assistance – opportunities for the youth to connect and impact their community positively.
South Africa has been trying to reduce youth issues such as:
- academic failure
- drug abuse
- teen pregnancy
- juvenile crime
- lack of job readiness skills
These efforts have had poor results because of:
- Poor parenting
- lack of support and opportunities
- lack of clear standards
Youth with disabilities have similar issues,such as:
- difficulties in school
- poor navigation and decision making skills
- lack of sense of purpose
- lack of clear standards in the community
Even if some issues are addressed there are still existing issues, such as:
- getting into college
- Finding work
- Living a purposeful life
Today’s workforce lacks the skills needed to ensure youth with disabilities becoming successful.
Creating or increasing opportunities for:
- Out-of-school programs; such as after-school programmes and mentoring programs
- Involving the youth in the community through volunteering, service learning opportunities, and decision making and leadership roles in the community
- Application of learning methods and
learnershipand youth skills development programmes
- On the job training
- Funding for prevention and intervention programs versus punishment and enforcement efforts
- Increasing caring relationships through mentorship
- Training staff to create relationships and competency training for organizations
The government can direct funding for job skills at many levels, including:
- training authorities – such as Action
Action aims to improve job placements for youth with disabilities through
The youth skills developmemt programme is vital for many people with a disability.